Media Project

Media Project!

Items: Cereal Box, Parmesan Cheese Container, Clothes Pin(s)
Case study: Joe (Transverse Myelitis)

Bathroom Organizer:    

Why?
In our neurological aspects class, we were given the opportunity to put our innovation and creativity skills to the test. We were given a case study and a few objects, and we had to create an object to help out our client post injury or diagnosis. I chose this project because I wanted to think of something that would help Joe out in his day to day. This product can make his morning and night routine so much easier. I like a routine and having things available, so I thought that this would just make his grooming process a little bit easier. This product serves as an adaptive device. He can change out the products as he pleases. I like how it is all right there instead of him needing to reach in a cabinet or drawer. 

Meet Joe:
Joe is a 22 year-old man who was diagnosed with Transverse Myelitis (TM). He is getting OT services in a inpatient rehab facility. He is very close with his family, he has a girlfriend (hopefully almost fiancè), and is looking for a job. Joe is independent in eating and requires set-up for grooming and upper body dressing, moderate assistance for bathing and toileting, and full assistance for lower body dressing and transfers. His strength, ROM, and coordination in his upper body are within functional limits.

My job was to make him something to make his life a little bit easier, so this is what I came up with!

What is it?
This is a countertop organizer that is helpful for Joe because all of his toiletries can be easily accessible within reaching limits. He does not have to get any items out of drawers or cabinets, and they can be in whichever order he would like. He can also take the whole thing to another area of his house if he is wanting to get ready somewhere else. It is small, lightweight, and transportable if he were to travel or be somewhere else. If he needed a bigger set up, he could get a bigger box and easily make this at home.
 
How to assemble: 
I used a regular size cereal box and put Styrofoam inside to help keep the items secure. I painted the box, but Joe could customize it if he would like. This could also be secure to his bathroom countertop with tape or command strips. You just cut holes to fit the products. 

This project supported my learning because I did not know about transverse myelitis until I read my case study. I had to come up with things that would help Joe, and I had to use my creative OT mind to do it!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Activity Analysis: Reaching for a a granola bar in my pantry

Nutshell 4: My Why

Neuro Note #1