Nutshell 4: My Why

 My Why:

I was in fieldwork for undergrad when I got my acceptance to UTHSC. My supervisor made me take a picture with it and looking back I am SO glad he made me.



Speaking to a 6 year old child:
    Hi! My name is Sarah, and I will be your occupational therapist. I know this seems confusing but let me explain it. I read that you love to play on the playground, but you get nervous going up to the top of the slide. That is something we can work on here! Occupational therapy is where you will get to work on fun skills that you can bring to the playground, or doing other things you love to do. I bet your big sister can get ready for school all by herself. That is something we will work on too! We can practice buttoning your shirts and zipping up your jacket. If you need help with homework you can bring it and we can practice your school skills too! We will have fun here while also working on things you may not feel confident with, or that you see your friends doing that you want to be able to do. Occupational therapists love to help you do activities or games that you want to do. We will work together to come up with ways to make tasks fun and easy for you. 

    If you told me 5 years ago that I was on my way to be an occupational therapist, I would have absolutely believed you. From the second I heard about it, I knew this occupation was for me. All my life I have been a helper. I am the oldest of four kids, and I had many responsibilities with them at a young age. I would teach my little sister how to brush her hair and brush her teeth, and I would help my little brother put his socks and shoes on for school. I love how you and your client can work together to get the results you are both looking for. It is such a team effort , which is why we get to call them our clients instead of patients. I always try to put myself in someone's shoes in any situation. I know if I was in a tragic accident or just had something different than others do, then I would want a healthcare provider to understand and empathize with my situation. When I am an OT practitioner, my main goal is not only to give proper and adequate treatment to my client, but also to be a light into their life that they may be needing. Having to go to therapy can be hard for some people, but I am excited and hopeful that I will make it an inviting and rewarding process, because I know that all of us would expect the same from anyone else.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Activity Analysis: Reaching for a a granola bar in my pantry

Neuro Note #1