Neuro Note #1
Neuro Note #1:
Alzheimer's: A Real Love Story
Mike and Julia Balson
https://www.alz.org/blog/alz/june_2016/alzheimer_s_a_real_love_story%E2%80%A6
I read an interview about Mike and Julia Balson, a couple who loves to travel the world together. I got to read about their past as a couple, but also their new obstacle that came with Mike developing Alzheimer's. We recently learned about Alzheimer's in class, so this story got to put that information into a real life situation. One misconception that I had about Alzheimer's is that it only happens super late in life. Mike is a perfect example that it does not always work out that way.
I chose this article because I think that caregivers and the patient's view of life is so important. With these heartbreaking conditions, it can be very easy for everyone involved to drown in their sorrows and live a miserable life. Instead, we got to hear about the beauty of Mike and Julia's love for each other, and how that is what kept them going. As an occupational therapist, I want to be that person for my client if they do not have anyone else. I want to be the person they feel comfortable with, and that they know I have their best interest at heart. I feel like people with these diseases are viewed as having a death sentence, but their life is so beautiful even in this stage.
Something I learned is that we do not have to have all of the answers. We do not have to know how to "cure" someone. We have to adapt. Julia adapted in reversing roles with her husband. Today in class we watched a video of a woman with Dementia, and she forgot how to brush her teeth. We were not taught how to fix it or teach her, but to redirect and keep her safe. That was such a learning moment for me because I feel like a lot of people would get frustrated and try to teach her how to brush her teeth. Patience and empathy is so important, and Julia had all of it.
I also love how Mike really realizes how important Julia is in his life. He makes points to say how important it is for her to give time for herself. They are both so selfless, and I would really recommend everyone to read this interview. It shows the power that love and attention has on someone with Alzheimer's. It can be so easy to be mad, but that just makes the client mad as well. Giving them the patience that we would want someone to give to us if we were in that situation is my biggest take away, along with just understanding the beauty of love and connection.
Nehring, A. (n.d.). Alzheimer’s: A real love story... Alzheimer’s Disease and Dementia. https://www.alz.org/blog/alz/june_2016/alzheimer_s_a_real_love_story%E2%80%A6

Comments
Post a Comment