Neuro Note #6
GBS|CIDP
Foundation International
Patient Stories
Clint Shaffer
https://www.gbs-cidp.org/patient-stories/clint-shaffer/ https://www.medcomic.com/medcomic/guillain-barre-syndrome
Clint was a normal athlete with ambitions to be a body builder. He worked out regularly, and took his fitness and physique very seriously. One day, this feet and toes went numb. He noticed that this numbness spread throughout the following week and months. He also noticed significant fatigue. Workouts he used to do with ease were now almost impossible. He got some tests done, and they came back with no abnormalities. He then got some more nervous system tests, and the official diagnosis was Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyradiculoneuropathy (CIDP), which we are learning in class as Guillain Barré Syndrome (GBS). The symptoms of this auto immune disease are characterized by muscle weakness, which was one of Clint's main symptoms. He now has to undergo treatment, but cannot do his bodybuilding as he would like to.
I chose this story because I could relate with Clint on his passion for fitness. I could not imagine not being able to exercise, so I wanted to see how he dealt with his diagnosis, and how he is moving forward. He has a very optimistic attitude, and I know that with treatment and perseverance that he will be able to train one day. Maybe not like he used to, but he will be able to do some movement. I knew little to nothing about this diagnosis when we learned it in class, so I learned what a little bit of a real life situation would look like with someone diagnoses with GBS. I was able to see the symptoms and life changes in someone who is able to tell their story, which really brought the material together for me. I do recommend this story to others. GBS is not as common to the public as other autoimmune diseases, so I think learned about it from a first hand perspective is very eye opening.
Clint Shaffer. GBS/CIDP Foundation International. (2023, August 17). https://www.gbs-cidp.org/patient-stories/clint-shaffer/


Comments
Post a Comment