Neuro Note #4
Neuro Note #4
A quadriplegic mother on raising twins: "Having a disability is not the end of the world"
Lee Cowan
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/dani-s-twins-documentary-quadriplegic-mother-on-raising-twins/
This blog post is about Danny Izzy, a quadriplegic super mom. She got her spinal cord injury from slipping on her bathroom floor. This was kind of shocking to me because I think if spinal cord injuries as being traumatic, but hers was something as simple as slipping in her home. She recovered but was left paralyzed from her chest down. She did not let this ruin her life. She met her husband Rudy, and he loved her regardless of her disability. She found out she could still have kids, so she ended up with twins! I learned that just because she was paralyzed, that it did not mean she could not have babies. I think we assume that people in wheelchairs cannot have kids, but her doctor quickly proved that wrong.
I chose this story because I want to be a mom one day. Danny is the definition of a super mom. She proved that no mater your situation, you can chase your dreams. She uses adaptive technology to play with her girls, and also had amazing support from her husband. This really shows that family members and spouses are so important in the process of recovery. He was her rock in her motherhood and continues to help her every day. From an OT perspective, his opinions and education is just as important as hers because they are a team.
I learned that people who are quadriplegic actually can have a "spectrum" of feeling. She has some feeling in her arms but lost all feelings in other places. Just because they are paralyzed, does not mean they they have 0 feeling everywhere. I also learned that she could have kids. She did not let her disability define her as a mother and I think that is super awesome. I would recommend this story because she used her situation to help other quadriplegic moms. She advocates for mother mothers with disabilities and that just shows and motivates me that you can make the most out of your situation. I will keep this story in mind when I have clients who may be going through something like Danny did. I hope this story gives people hope that they can do all things and follow their dreams no matter their circumstance!
Cowan, L. (2023, June 11). A quadriplegic mother on raising twins: “having a disability is not the end of the world.” CBS News. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/dani-s-twins-documentary-quadriplegic-mother-on-raising-twins/


Comments
Post a Comment