Neuro Note #3


Neuro Note #3:

 Margie Alley Plays Ping- Pong to Cope with Parkinson's Disease

https://www.brainandlife.org/articles/playing-ping-pong-to-cope-with-parkinsons-disease/?utm_source=Informz&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=21%20Brain%20&%20Life&utm_content=Parkinson%27s%20Spotlight%206
    I loved this story! It is about Margie Alley who was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease at age 48, used sports and movement to cope with the new changes in her life. She talked about some of her setbacks like tremors and medication, but those did not stop her. This was super awesome because you hear of most people with Parkinson's not want to move because they are scared or it hurts them. I feel like her way of coping and keeping herself active is amazing for her mind, soul, and body. I compared my case study on Parkinson's to this story, and her way of staying active will benefit her so much more in the long run. My grandfather has Parkinson's and he does to like to be active. He falls a lot and is scared to move. Alley's story can be an inspiration to people like him that feel like their life is now just being stationary. 

    I chose this story because I loved the idea of her staying active. For my own mental health, I like to go on walks. I think it is therapeutic and I know the exercise is good for me. I feel like she thinks the same way. Why not continue to push herself and do things she loves? I already knew that movement was good for the average person, but I did not think about it being helpful for those with Parkinson's. I think I assumed that people with Parkinson's physically could not be active anymore, but Alley really proved that wrong. 

    I learned that the body is so amazing and with motivation, our body can overcome anything. I also learned that activity can actually be useful for those with Parkinson's. Alley definitely feels the affects of her condition, but she will not back down and let it take over her life. I would absolutely recommend this story to someone who needs some motivation or different outlook on life. She took such a heartbreaking diagnosis and made it something amazing. I love her perseverance and it is so inspirational and really puts things into perspective. 


Bolster, M. (2021, June). Margie Alley plays ping-pong to cope with parkinson’s disease. Brain and Life Magazine - Trusted by Neurologists. https://www.brainandlife.org/articles/playing-ping-pong-to-cope-with-parkinsons-disease/?utm_source=Informz&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=21+Brain+&+Life&utm_content=Parkinson%27s+Spotlight+6

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Activity Analysis: Reaching for a a granola bar in my pantry

Nutshell 4: My Why

Neuro Note #1