"Man from the South"
If the soldier lost his finger, he would have many struggles in not only his job, but also in his daily life. As a naval sailor, he has to hold a wheel, carry heavy objects, hold a gun, and exercise. He would have a hard time holding these things or being able to lift weights or even do pushups. He would also struggle with ADLs and iADLs. Holding a hairbrush could be difficult, or quickly putting on a complex naval uniform. Holding a pot of hot water without spilling for cooking would be a challenge, or even squeezing out shampoo or toothpaste.
Most to all of these daily occupations o require grip strength, which is required by the finger he would have lost, or the 5th digit. He would be losing about half of his grip strength, which is needed to hold his equipment or properly take care of himself. His 5th digit is located on the ulnar aspect of the hand, which allow for increased mobility. He even would have a hard time smoking his cigarettes, as he needs opposition in his thumb and little finger, which he would no longer have.
As far as continuing to work and stay active, the solider will have hard time with grip strength. I myself have bad grip strength. I had a strength coach give me these straps to help me lift heavier weight. The solider could get something like this to use on the job if he needs to lift something. This could also be useful for carrying groceries, a laundry basket, or that bowl of boiling water for cooking.
Sara, I loved all of your different modification ideas for both the sailor and the wife! I agree that the sailor's grip strength would have been significantly lowered if he were to have lost his pinky, and I think that the glove with the strap would be a great way for him to still be able to participate in his ADL's. I also love how clever your modification for the wife was and how you found a way to incorporate the cadillac from the story into your blog post. When thinking of a modification for the wife I thought of typical things such as cooking or grooming but driving her car did not come to mind, great job!
ReplyDelete